ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Christoph v Ballmoos
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
50D vs 7D - detail at ISO 400
Oct 24, 2011

Hi,

I would like to make this short. Recently, I got bashed on the lens forum that my pics were the worst they have seen (complete lack of detail) with my brand new Sigma 120-300f2.8 OS lens. However, when I compared them with pics from my other lens (70-200Lf4IS and other L or EF lenses), I found the Sigma to be the sharpest. So, I though, maybe its the camera then and I could use a 7D from a friend and did some comparison. Here now a similar shot under same conditions (indirect flash to ceiling triggered by camera flash as lightning) with both cameras, which shows what I think might be the difference. The hair of the lion is just not very detailed in the 50D shot (left).

When not seen at 100%, the shots look similar. I also think, the problem is stronger when it comes to low contrast regions (like feathers in birds, etc).

So, owner of 50D (and 7D), do you think, the amount of detail in my 50D is reasonable?
Thanks for all feedback.
Cheers,
Christoph

Here, a few real world shots with the 50D and the Sigma. I agree, there is not too much feather detail, but can this be expected when shooting from such a distance. When using my EF300f4L, it is not any better.

Christoph v Ballmoos's gear list:Christoph v Ballmoos's gear list
Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow