Nikon AF-S DX 10-24/3,5-4,5G IF-ED vs Nikon AF-S DX 12-24/4G IF-ED

Started Oct 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
SNGX1327
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,186
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S DX 10-24/3,5-4,5G IF-ED vs Nikon AF-S DX 12-24/4G IF-ED
In reply to Skarstrom, Oct 24, 2011

Skarstrom wrote:

Thanks. UWA are hard to decide between, but since I will use it mostly for landscape I donĀ“t think I will miss the speed.

the 12-24 is f/4 constant, the 10-24 is f/3.5-4.5. i don't think speed is really an issue with these two lenses. if anything, i could say that the 10-24 is "faster" because you don't hit f/4.5 until the longer focal lengths, anyway.

i also used to shoot canon and i also owned a canon 10-22. i miss that lens every day. MAN what a fantastic lens!! not only does the nikon 10-24 have worse build quality, but it also costs like $200 more. that's why i got mine used. actually, that's why i get all my gear used...

personally i go with the 10-24 hands down and here's why:

cases for the 12-24: build quality, cheaper i believe, constant f/4 aperture

cases for the 10-24: longer zoom range --- those extra 2mms are very important for a UWA lens. this lens also focuses closer, which is something i feel is important. with a UWA lens i like to get very close to my subject to emphasis the near-far spatial relationship with my subject and the background (it's a dramatic lens). the 10-24 has a much closer MFD than the 12-24 does. i don't know the numbers off the top of my head right now, but i remember it being a deal breaker when i compared these two lenses. this is something that nobody talks about, but in real life i am always hitting up against MFD with my wide angle lenses.

as i said earlier, i feel that speed is a non-issue. at 24mm it's f/4 vs. f/4.5. at 12mm it's f/4 vs. f/3.5. that's not a big enough difference to matter.

it would be nice if we could use our EF-S 10-22s with our nikon cameras, but we cannot.

it would also be nice if i could have kept my EF 70-200 f/4L when i made the switch... that's another lens that i feel nikon has no real competitor (70-200 f/4 for $550) and i wish i could have kept it when i made the switch!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow