preferred email client - mac - mail ?

Started Oct 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
mr_scoot
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: P.S.
In reply to MrMojo, Oct 24, 2011

MrMojo wrote:

If someone can provide a link to an online resource or book that would assist me in making the switch from POP to IMAP I would appreciate it.

My basic requirement is that none of my e-mail winds up in the Inbox. I prefer to use filters (rules) that direct incoming messages from specific e-mail accounts and sources to individual mailboxes. All e-mail is filed in the appropriate mailbox before I even open a message. This system also makes it easy to determine which e-mail I want to work with immediately and e-mail that can wait to be read.

If I was the type of person who allows all their e-mail to wind up in the Inbox the move to IMAP would be a lot simpler.

Two possibilities:

If you are using gmail, you can use its filters to move messages to 'labels'. These 'labels' show up as folders, on the server, in Mail.app. To cause messages to be moved rather than simply labeled, check the 'skip inbox' checkbox when creating the filter.
To create these filters, log in to gmail on the web.

Some mail hosts other than google also have the capability to do server-side filtering, either via control panels or by setting up a procmail script.

Second possibility: In Mail.app, choose "New Mailbox" from the Mailbox menu. Change the popup from "On My Mac" to "your gmail account". A folder will be created on the server. Then setup a rule in Mail to move messages to this mailbox.

Using either method, those folders/labels will be visible as such on other devices such as your phone or iPad, or other computers.

Both methods include the ability to apply the filters to messages already in the inbox.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
P.S.New
FWIWNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow