ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jackpot
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
From Sony NEX-5N to Oly E-P3
Oct 23, 2011

Hello, everyone.

I bought a Sony NEX-5N almost two weeks ago. I loved many things about the camera, but it just didn't feel right. Yesterday, I returned the NEX-5N and bought an Olympus E-P3. I'm writing this post to help out anyone else considering both cameras.

The Sony's biggest advantage, of course, is its superior sensor. With that sensor, the NEX-5N is capable of producing richer, more detailed photos. Based on my experience, however, Olympus builds a better camera.

The E-P3 is more expensive, but its build quality is in a completely different league. Everything feels nicer -- the controls, the lenses, the camera itself. My NEX-5N also clicked loudly, and I was unhappy about having to repair a brand-new camera. The problem left me wondering what else Sony had overlooked.

For me, the E-P3 is much easier to use. Even after customizing the Sony's buttons, I found myself constantly hunting for basic controls. For me, the E-P3's interface is far more intuitive. The E-P3's biggest advantage, however, is surely its incredible autofocus. It's lightning fast and, for me, more than enough to compensate for the NEX-5N's better sensor. Nevertheless, I'll miss the Sony's peaking control system for manual focus. It's innovative and really works.

I was also drawn to the E-P3 for its superior lenses, image stabilization, and color rendering. When you account for those, the NEX-5N's IQ advantage gets smaller and smaller. With the E-P3's better interface and autofocus, I'll also miss far fewer shots. The E-P3 is hard to beat for street photography.

I'm interested to see what Sony does next. The fantastic sensor wasn't enough for me, but it will be for many others.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow