Dynamic Range -- what it is, what it's good for, and how much you 'need'

Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,267Gear list
Like?
You and Rikke are both acting like clowns
In reply to Great Bustard, Oct 23, 2011

Great Bustard wrote:

1. The most efficient aspect ratio for a sensor is the aspect ratio closest to the aspect ratio of the displayed photo.

No it isn't. Not for "equivalence" purposes where the final crop is never considered.

I will assume that since you are going down this road of "post-capture cropping" that you do in fact realise your error.

A 4:3 rectangle inscribed in a circle with the same diameter as a 3:2 rectangle will have 4% more area. This does not mean "4% greater efficiency" unless the final photo is displayed at 4:3 or more square. If the photo is displayed 3:2 or more wide, then the 3:2 rectangle is "more efficient". This has been explained to you multiple times, but you still lack the cognitive capacity to understand it.

It really is that simple.

What is simple to see is that you are staying true to form when your errors are pointed out.

I notice Rikke is trying the approach of bringing in the magnitude of the uncertainties involved in the measurements.

It is strange that the final cropping and uncertainties of measurement involved never figure in "equivalence" until now. The lengths that some people will go to in order to avoid admitting error astounds me, frankly. This is a whopping 4% error, you clowns -- simply admit it like you did years ago and carry on with the correction.

Now you will no doubt both pretend indignation for getting called on this latest stupid fraud.

Carry on.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MathNew
You.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow