Dynamic Range -- what it is, what it's good for, and how much you 'need'

Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,223
Like?
100% correct vs 0% correct.
In reply to boggis the cat, Oct 23, 2011
  1. The most efficient aspect ratio for a sensor is the aspect ratio closest to the aspect ratio of the displayed photo. For example, for photos displayed at 3:2, 3:2 is the most efficient aspect ratio for the sensor. For photos displayed at 4:3, 4:3 is the most efficient aspect ratio for the sensor.

2. This is a simple fact, but might be difficult to understand for people who think, for example, that the aperture is the same as the image circle.

3. All this has been explained, in detail, in the posts immediately above. Your failure to understand has no bearing on the truth of the matter.

boggis the cat wrote:

I seem to recall having this exact same argument with you years ago, where you finally agreed that there is a 4% difference but claimed that it isn't significant.

My argument is that if you want to go to the trouble of making calculations then you should correct for this, too.

All my calculations are correct, boggis -- here they are again:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=39640031

Those calculations take everything into account. And that "4% difference" you keep banging on about was discussed in detail in my post after that:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=39650976

A 4:3 rectangle inscribed in a circle with the same diameter as a 3:2 rectangle will have 4% more area. This does not mean "4% greater efficiency" unless the final photo is displayed at 4:3 or more square. If the photo is displayed 3:2 or more wide, then the 3:2 rectangle is "more efficient". This has been explained to you multiple times, but you still lack the cognitive capacity to understand it.

It really is that simple.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MathNew
You.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow