Started Oct 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NickDarius
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Noob here. Just starting to learn
Oct 22, 2011

So about 2 weeks ago we, the wife and I, upgraded from our P&S camera to a new Sony A35 with 18-55mm lens. BTW paid $579+tax CDN for it on special at LL Lozeau in Montreal. Great price from comparing online pricing.

The very next day I have a flash of my older brother getting into photography in the mid-late 80s. So I call him up and ask if by chance his camera is a Minolta and if he had any lenses with it. "Yes" he says, "come by and take everything, I haven't used that stuff in years"

So I head over and low an behold he has a Minolta Maxxum 7000, a Minolta 28mm F2, a Minolta 50mm F1.7 and a Image 75-200mm F4.5 all in mint condition! He also had a flash, all I need is the hot shoe adapter and I am good to go! He threw in his bag as well! I ended up giving him my P&S Canon A700 as thanks.

The following Monday at work I am speaking to a colleague and he mentions he has a bunch of Minolta and Sony lenses and would lend me his BeerCan and BigBeerCan so I can test them out and compare to my 75-200mm. He also mentions he is no rush to get them back and he might even sell them to me.

Then this past week I was looking at the local classifieds and I came across a Sony SAL75300 for sale. I hesitated contacting the seller because he was about 1 hour away and I didn't really need the lens. So I fire off an email asking the seller if he's ever in town or better yet near my part of town, I'd be interested. He emails me back that he'll be close to me on Sat, he's moving his daughter to her new house. I met up with him earlier today and got a mint, I'd say as good as new, in the box, paperwork and original wrapping SAL75300 for $100. he only used it a few times, picked it up as part of his A300 purchase a few years ago, but preferred the size of the 55-200 that he just purchased for travelling.

This long-winded post was to just introduce myself and share my recent great fortune as we embark into the world of DSLR photography!

Great forum BTW, learned a lot already over the last few weeks as a lurker.

NickDarius's gear list:NickDarius's gear list
Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow