Started Oct 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
somephotoguy
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Why do EVFs keep getting worse?
Oct 21, 2011

I had a Canon S3IS, and its EVF was low-resolution but it still looked good for composing photos in autofocus mode. Then I upgraded to an SX20, and its EVF had higher resolution but just didn't look as natural. There was some distortion and fringing around the edges. For autofocus, it felt like a step backwards from the S3. Now I've upgraded to the SX40 and the EVF is horrible. It has tremendous distortion and fringing around the edges, and it seems to have some sort of diagonal pattern in the screen itself. It's uncomfortable to even look at it for more than a few seconds and is almost a dealbreaker for this camera.

My question is WHY does Canon continue to downgrade this differentiating feature? Am I the only one who even uses the EVF anymore? I can count on one hand the total number of times I've even opened the LCD screen on any of these cameras. The EVF is an important feature that sets these cameras apart from their cheaper competition and I don't understand how something as awful as the SX40 viewfinder even made it into production.

(Note: The diopter adjustment was properly set on all of these cameras.)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow