Started Oct 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
redsquare
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
S100: Is 24mm a double-edged sword?
Oct 21, 2011

Had my S100 for a few days now. Quite impressed with it overall, especially the great interface and ergonomics.

In the first couple days, I was loving the 24mm wide end. So much room available for outdoor shots, landscape shots, and I noticed it made indoor video easier too - could fit much more of the scene into the frame.

But after some more use, specifically with family photos, I'm starting to not enjoy the 24mm so much. 28mm has been the wide end on my previous Canon P&S cams, and I've found that even wide open, people shots almost always looked normal/natural without any zooming.

But unlike with 28mm, it seems very easy for people shots to look strange at 24mm. I find I have to zoom in a bit to avoid that 'warped/stretched' look to the subject, and frankly it's not that fun to have to zoom in every time I want to take a shot of someone. With the F stop change, brightness can get lost pretty quickly when zooming in, especially in low-light indoor settings.

I'd be curious to hear opinions from others. Is this just something I'll get used to, or any advice on how to make the best use of it? Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow