Started Oct 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,517Gear list
Like?
S100: Outside shots
Oct 20, 2011

I finally got outside with the S100 following several days of rain since I bought the camera. The day couldn't be more contrasty, with bright light and hardly a cloud in the sky.

My comments are based on very preliminary use of the S100 so they are subject to change as I become more familiar with settings. Thus far, I'm very pleased with the image quality and the dynamic range considering the small size of the sensor. Any faults are no doubt due to my newness to the camera.

My first impression of the CMOS sensor is that it's more sensitive, if that's the right word, than the sensor in my S90.

For years I've been using -1/3 or -2/3 Exposure Compensation for photographing these types of scenes. To my eyes, the ones taken at 0 compensation turned out better and appear to hold more detail in the highlights. They also processed better than those with minus compensation, especially in the highlight area.

I took about 200 photos so haven't made a full assessment. Here are a few of them. All are reduced in size with minimal processing (Unsharp Mask and Levels):

If you don't have a browser EXIF reader, you can check out the EXIF data in my pBase gallery, where I'll be adding more outside pix in the coming days:

http://www.pbase.com/gailb/s100outside

Would love to hear others experience with the camera outside; thus far, there as been mostly emphasis on the low light performance of the S100.

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PaulNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow