EP-3 Jpeg quality. Is it possible to improve?

Started Oct 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,655Gear list
Like?
Re: EP-3 Jpeg quality. Is it possible to improve?
In reply to GirinoFumetto, Oct 20, 2011

GirinoFumetto wrote:

Thanks to everybody for your replays.

I think that E-P3 will be my next camera. In my country you have to make the right choice before buying. I cannot try 10 to keep 1 as many of you can do.

RAW samples are OK but I wonder why Olympus, knowing the target of this camera, chose this kind of defaults.

The default settings for the E-P3 are pretty much what the default settings for every Olympus interchangeable-lens camera I have bought were. The default E-P3 settings are exactly what I recall seeing when I turned my E5 on the first time and looked at all the coded parameters. The generations of JPEG engines differ over time, but from what I see comparing E-P3 and E5 JPEG's, there's not a whole lot of difference between those two models.

If you shoot RAW, the default parameters do not matter a lick. If you shoot JPEG, you have to set the camera up the way you want it. Default parameters are there because no one, not even Olympus, can know how every user wants to set a camera up. Based on what I read and see about other brands and their JPEG defaults, you could do a lot worse than what Olympus provides as a starting point.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow