Studio Lens: Nikon 16-85 or 17-55F2.8???

Started Oct 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robertoberto
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Studio Lens: Nikon 16-85 or 17-55F2.8???
Oct 20, 2011

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and I joined because I need some advice on which lens to buy.

Here is my situation: I own a Nikon dx body, lenses are the kit 18-55vr, nikkor 50mm af-s f1.4, and a tamron 70-300. I also have a pretty full set of studio equipment that is not really relevant.

I am using my kit lens for most of my studio photography because the 50mm is not wide enough for 90% of my shots and I have no control over zoom. I basically use it only to do portraits in the studio. Now the kit lens image quality and sharpness are junk, and the more I develop with my studio photography skills, the more it angers me to see the image quality and sharpness problems (especially when shooting wide open) so I need a new lens.

I've discounted all 3rd party lenses at this moment and I was looking at the 24-70 F2.8 (nikkor) but on my dx body won't be wide enough.

My requirements are a wide lens that is very sharp and has great image quality and I've narrowed it down to 2 lenses. The 16-85mm and the 17-55 F2.8 by nikon. Now there is a huge price difference, and I live in Poland so these are expensive, 1700pln & 5100pln respectively.

Is the 16-85 really sharp enough? I have not read any reviews on the lens from people that have used it in studio situations, and is the 17-55 really good enough to spend more than double the money on? Most of my shots in the studio are ISO 100-200, F8-F11 so it needs to behave nice at those settings. I also like the idea of using the 17-55 outdoors with the great aperture and zoom.

I've uploaded a picture from a recent shoot, this picture is an example of what problems I am having, complete lack of sharpness of the model. I need the new lens to cure this. Will the 16-85 do the job?

Any opinions would be VERY appreciated!

Cheers!

Rob

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow