FrankyM
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's put it all together.
In reply to olyflyer, Oct 20, 2011

olyflyer wrote:

FrankyM wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

But it is not because the pixels are larger per se, but rather because Canon does not yet have the capability to make the tech with smaller pixels. However, as I said, I think it has more to do with maintaining the high frame rate than the inability to make smaller pixels.

I've no idea whether Canon has the capability or not but this is not the reason they reduced the pixel count of the G11 cf. the G10.

...but maybe it is. The G10 is awfully slow in focus and the shutter lag is a real killer. As far as I know, the G11 and 12 are much faster... of course, they are no DSLRs, but what people say is that they are considerably faster and I have no reason to doubt that information since 50% less pixel data plus added internal processing capacity due to technical evolution makes a big difference. Otherwise the G10 pixels are indeed very nice and the camera is fantastic.

What you say sounds feasible but when the G10 was launched, one assumes that Canon thought that it was good enough (and very many users did).

Canon's press release (at the time) of the G11 states the following

" Professional photographers will benefit from the G11’s greatly expanded dynamic range. Canon’s new Dual Anti-Noise System combines a high sensitivity 10.0 Megapixel image sensor with Canon’s enhanced DIGIC 4 image processing technology to increase image quality and greatly improve noise performance by up to 2 stops (compared to PowerShot G10). The PowerShot G11 also includes i-Contrast technology, which prevents high-light blowout whilst retaining low-light detail – ideal for difficult lighting situations. "

So whatever the real reason was, Canon made quite a few claims about the G11 compared to the G10 - 'greatly expanded dynamic range' - '2 stop noise performance improvement'

FrankyM's gear list:FrankyM's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MathNew
You.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow