Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,173
Like?
Re: Let's put it all together.
In reply to FrankyM, Oct 19, 2011

FrankyM wrote:

Well read what he does say -

That helps us in terms of light capturing ability and increases the signal to noise ratio. In turn, that does nothing but help the dynamic range of the camera. '

Well, with a fair bit of twisting, you could make that statement true. One could say that a new, more efficient, design could not be made with smaller pixels at the current time, thus the larger pixels give more DR than smaller pixels. This gives the impression that the greater DR is a result of larger pixels rather than a more effiicent sensor with new tech. This is also likely the answer to the Canon G12 question you pose further below.

But for a given sensor efficiency , larger pixels have no DR advantage over smaller pixels.

If you're talking about sensors, pixel noise performance is what it's about.

Not at all -- the number of pixels is also a key player. If the pixels can be made so that the read noise and saturation scale with the area of the pixel (equally efficient), then smaller pixels are always better (in terms of IQ).

If the smaller pixels cannot be made as efficient, then depending on the difference in the number of pixels and the difference in efficiency, smaller pixels will have an advantage in some circumstances, and larger pixels will have an advantage in others.

If you're talking about photos then it depends also on the processes followed after image capture. However, image SNR cannot be more than pixel SNR at the same resolution.

If you're talking about the photos (which I always am), then it's not how an individual pixel performs, but how the pixels perform in aggregate. For example, we wouldn't compare a single 2x2 pixel to a single 1x1 pixel, but rather four 1x1 pixels.

And, as I've said elsewhere in this thread, the DR is the number of stops from the noise floor to the saturation limit. Smaller pixels have both lower noise floors and lower saturation limits, which are in proportion to the pixel area for a given efficiency, so the DR / pixel remains unchanged.

I'm not arguing the definition of DR, merely pointing out that what you say is in disagreement with Canon's spokesman.

Of course, "Canon's spokesman" is going to put a positive spin on every choice Canon makes. Now, as I've said, perhaps Canon is using a new tech, and it couldn't be made with more pixels at this time, and it indeed does have a significant advantage over an older tech with more pixels.

But it is not because the pixels are larger per se, but rather because Canon does not yet have the capability to make the tech with smaller pixels. However, as I said, I think it has more to do with maintaining the high frame rate than the inability to make smaller pixels.

Doesn't Chuck Westfall work as a marketing representative for Canon? He would be no more interested in hearing that smaller pixels have no IQ advantage than hearing that lens IS has no advantage over sensor IS.

I don't know who Chuck Westfall is but his title is given as "Technical Advisor in Canon USA's Pro Engineering and Solutions Division" by DPR. It doesn't sound like marketing to me.

Perhaps "US advisors sent to Uganda" doesn't sound like "fully armed soldiers" to you, either.

Then I misunderstood you. I consider that a 'technical' rather than operational consideration (normally operational refers to the actual operation of a business - so if, for example, not enough 36mp sensors could be manufactured in time for a fixed date product launch, that would be an operational reason to go with something else).

I call anything that involves the operation of the camera as "operational", e.g. AF, frame rate, etc.

Nevertheless, that's just conjecture on your part.

Of course -- it's not as if Canon sent me the specs and asked my advice. But, my "conjecture" is based on solid, and well understood, principles.

Well the history with their G series is one of increasing pixels and then decreasing them. So the question is why?

I hope my explanation above (first paragraph) answered that question to your satisfaction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MathNew
You.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow