Started Oct 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
holyfan
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Just got A77 + Sigma 8-16 (problem)
Oct 19, 2011

Hi, I need some serious advice and help.

I got a new A77 that comes with firmware 1.03, and went to buy the Sigma 8-16mm hsm lens. I bought it because Sigma's website announced a bunch of sigma hsm lenses that wouldn't autofocus on A77 and A65, and 8-16 wasn't included on the list.

I went to a store and ask that since Sigma lenses don't perform consistently on the new A77, can I test it and if it works fine then I would buy it.

When I was testing in a well-lit room, The 8-16mm lens on A77 sometimes would hunt back and forth for 3-5 seconds before it locks on focus. Sometimes it is instant but there were several times where it took about 5-7 seconds hunting back and forth. It doesn lock on focus eventually every time, just the time it takes varies. Especially if I focus on something within 4 ft, and then focus 10 feet away, or vice versa. It would hunt for 3-7 seconds before locks on. Is this performance normal for ultra wide angle??

I was forced to buy the lens because technically the lens works (although sometimes takes a while to focus) The store says since I tested already, it cannot be sold as new therefore I have to buy it unless I would be willing to pay $60 USD to cover their loss.

Any one can share their experience with Sigma 8-16mm on A77 A65 is greatly appreciated! thank you very much!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow