Who else put the Canon EOS-1D X on the short list?

Started Oct 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Oct 19, 2011

It's everything that I wanted in a pro body, except for one and only more one item on my wish list. There is where I conflict with myself. I love CF cards, and a pair of CF cards instead of a CF and SD is a major plus for me. I have ZERO heart loss over SD cards. I just don’t care for them, they are too small and sometimes wearing gloves makes them a PITA.

Now the ONLY item I would have asked for over the duel CF card slots would be the ability to plug in a 1.8 inch Solid State Drive. I would have loved to plug in an Intel X-18 160gb SATA II drive, or a Crucial 256gb SATA III SSD drive like the Real SSD C300. That is the ONLY thing I can think of that I would consider, a major improvement especially considering video work, or a full day of shooting stills. The Size for 1.8 SSD form factor = 54x8x71mm and the Size for CF cards form factor is = 43×36×5mm

In addition, really, I am GLAD that they did not go beyond the 21mp limit, I am actually delighted that they went down to 18mp. This camera will replace my 5DMII, my 1D Mark II, my 7D, the 1DMark IV that I had, all in one shot. For those of you that are saying "No enough MP for landscape", I have a comment and then a couple of questions...

On my walls are several prints that I have printed 20x30, 24x36, 36x54 and 40x60 inches with taken from my 1D Mark II with its Massive 8.2mp. How many of you all that states your into "Landscape" actually PRINT above a 40x60? Do you do it for "business"?

If you are printing images bigger than 40x60, for business and feel that 18 Megapixels is not enough, why are you NOT using a Medium Format Camera? If your prints are “Really” THAT important, then a Medium Format camera should be the camera to get and they have dropped down in price a bit. The Pentax 645D Medium Format DSLR which is 40 Megapixels for just under $10k, that right 40 Megapixels. The Hasselblad H4D-31 Medium Format DSLR Camera with 80mm f/2.8 HC Lens is about $14k and comes with a 44x33mm sensor that is 31mp. Why are you even looking at a CANON? The lenses for Medium Format are close to the same price as the "L" lenses, and if your printing big, you using "L" glass RIGHT? So that eliminates any use for "Non -L" glass...

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow