Dynamic Range -- what it is, what it's good for, and how much you 'need'

Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,629Gear list
Like?
no tripod in my HDR shots - new canon looks like DR is a 'focus'
In reply to Great Bustard, Oct 18, 2011

both of those, even the 1/6th of a second hdr shot were handheld.

I use photoacute to combine which seems to do a great job of after the fact alignment of the images and in their documentation encourages slight movement between shots to increase sharpness.

Looks like Canon is striking out on an IQ vs Megapixel route with there new 1D spring 2012 camera. I wonder with this emphasis on IQ and setting the MP at 18 what the DR of that beasty will be. Westfall said DR and Noise were too of the major emphasis of the new sensor design. I had the 1ds mk1 2 and 3 and now use the 5d2. Be very interesting to see what the real results on that new camera will be. They've taken way longer then their prior 1ds life-cycle to come out with the new one. And up till this announcement the 5d2 had their best sensor in the line-up. (like the 1dsIII but with flouro coating for better dust resistance.)

These are interesting times!
--
John Mason - Lafayette, IN

http://www.fototime.com/inv/407B931C53A9D9D

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MathNew
You.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow