Started Oct 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ThomasX
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
X10 no Viewfinder Information
Oct 18, 2011

We had this discussion already very briefly over at the X10 announcement section I think, but no real outcome - at least not for me.

Can anyone explain to me the point of a viewfinder containing no information on exposure nor focus?

Even the older "real" rangefinder cameras gave hints on exposure in the viewfinder, and of course had a focus field.

Without exposure control, I would have to rely on the automatic exposure modes to perform correctly. OK I could potentially live with that.

But without focus information, I would have to rely on the camera picking the right focus point(s) and to focus on them correctly. Based upon my experiences, even the most advanced focussing automatism in recent cameras is not really reliable - it would very often pick focus points that were irrelevant to me. I need a dedicated focus field, to determine the exact focus point - maybe old fashioned, but that is how I take pictures.

Therefore my question - what is the point of an OVF (as bright and large as it might be), that does not show any shooting information?

Or is it meant to be an emergency tool in case you can't see the screen due to bright sunlight?

Or am I missing an important point?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow