Dynamic Range -- what it is, what it's good for, and how much you 'need'

Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,178
Like?
A prime example...
In reply to boggis the cat, Oct 18, 2011

...of why 1022 is the source of so much "entertainment" -- technical discussions are quickly trashed by ignorant entertainers.

boggis the cat wrote:

Seems that there's a lot of confusion (at least with some) about what DR (dynamic range) is and what it's good for. This purpose of this thread is to get this cleared up.

I'd like to begin with a rather stark example of what 13.7 stops of DR (D7000) offers over 11.2 stops of DR (5D2):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=38379069

But wait, Joe, isn't it all about "total light"?

No, it isn't "all about total light", but total light, like DR, is an important consideration.

How is it that an APS-C system can out-perform a 135 system? The 135 system has more total light.

If you understood what DR was, then you'd not be confused on this point. Would you like me to explain to you how it works out? Specifically, why neither sensor size nor pixel size figures into the calculation of DR?

Oh, this must be an example of reality kicking theory square in the wedding tackle. Thanks for clearing that up.

More like a vivid example of you not understanding what DR is, how it's measured, and what it's useful for.

So, there you have it. What DR is and what it is useful for.

Well, it's just as well you posted this, as I'm sure that nobody on the OSTF had any idea what DR was.

Not the least of whom is yourself.

Clown.

The shoes fit you rather well. So, how about it -- do you want me to explain DR to you -- what it is, how it's measured, and what it's good for -- or would you rather just parade your ignorance in public?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MathNew
You.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow