Started Oct 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
crsantin
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
Samsung at Exposure-Toronto
Oct 18, 2011

There seems to be a number of Toronto NX shooters on this site. I don't know if any of you were able to go to Exposure this past weekend, hosted by Henry's. I didn't bother taking any pics, that's not why I posted, just some musings on a quiet Monday night.

The NX200-I really liked the build quality, very solid. The new design is quite nice. I was surprised at how small the camera is...almost too small for my hands. I have large hands and appreciate the larger size of the NX100, it's perfect for me (I also have the same complaint about the Olympus Pens, very tiny). I shot one with the 16mm and another one with the 18-200mm. The 16mm focused very fast, this was in what I would call poor lighting. The 18-200 did not focus particulary fast in this poor light. Overall I would say I will not be buying the NX200, it's just not comfortable for me to hold and operate, though it would have been easier to judge if it were not for those stupid locks they put on the cameras that attach to the base, it's very hard to properly test a camera with those contraptions on them. The NX20 may get my attention in the new year, or this retro camera we keep hearing about.

I guess what I'm really writing about is the Samsung booth overall. I went at the busiest time in the middle of Saturday afternoon. The Samsung booth was all but empty almost all the time. Very few people stopped by to check out the cameras and lens display or to test the cameras. The Samsung reps they had there didn't seem overly capable either. The one guy I talked to sounded very much like a car salesmen, spouting brochure specs at me. When I told him I already owned an NX100 he seemed less interested in talking to me...I was the only one at the booth at the time. I found my experience at the Samsung booth rather awkward really. I compare this to the Fuji booth, where you could feel a sense of excitement about the product and some real passion from the reps working there, or the Sigma and Tamron setups where there were helpful and knowledgeable reps. Actually the Tamron booth was tiny but the two fellows working it were quite good.

I ended up buying a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 for my Nikon ($400 with the $20 show discount, a pretty good price for a beauty of a lens). Quite honestly, I did not feel like spending my money on Samsung after my visit there. I may expand my NX system, but not at the moment. I still love my DSLR and need to upgrade some of my lenses so that will be my focus for the next 6 months.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow