Veteran MemberPosts: 5,668Gear list
Like?
Re: unless
In reply to Nemianiu Skqergl, Oct 17, 2011

Nemianiu Skqergl wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

jim stirling wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Seems that there's a lot of confusion (at least with some) about what DR (dynamic range) is and what it's good for. This purpose of this thread is to get this cleared up.

I'd like to begin with a rather stark example of what 13.7 stops of DR (D7000) offers over 11.2 stops of DR (5D2):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=38379069

That really is a good example of some of the advantages of what wider DR allows.

Striking, isn't it?

I don’t have the D7000 or any cameras with that sensor and I am happy to stick with mFT as a back up to my FF kit.

Absolutely. DR isn't the only measure of a system, after all.

I had seen the DR scores of the D7000 but must admit I was a bit sceptical about the result in reality. It makes one wonder what the next generation of FF cameras will be capable of.

I imagine that, at best, the DR will be the same, but likely still a little less -- that Sony Exmor sensor is rather amazing, and, so far as I know, Sony isn't making it in FF size.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/03/the-name-will-be-nikon-d800-the-sensor-will-be-36mp-99-probability.aspx/
16 x 2.25 = 36
14+log2(sqrt(3)) = 14.8

In any event, contrary to "common wisdom", DR is not a function of sensor size (or pixel size).

still, jim might be thinking of replacing his d3

The D3s/D3x models deliver great results {especially in their respective niches} and my main attraction in the D800 {long term rumoured :)} would be its smaller size. It would be nice if they could downsize the top tier bodies whilst retaining the features. I am getting older by the minute and would appreciate a lighter load; heck I have grey hairs in places i didn’t used to have hair

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MathNew
You.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow