Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rocketguy
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
60d or 7d for "auto mode" photographer?
Oct 17, 2011

My wife currently has a 20d and it's time for an upgrade. I have narrowed this down to the 60d or 7d. The 20d is her main camera for all events - family get-togethers, individual and family pics, sporting events with the kids (football and soccer), parties, etc... She has become the default photographer for events - ie sports and parties. She loves photography, but not all of the gory details - "auto this and that" rules her photographic life. She likes to pick up her camera and start shooting. She's big into the portrait pics where the background is blurred and fast paced action photos.

She favors the 50d or the newer 60d because these models have the familiar "programmed image control modes" - Portrait, landscape, close-up, sports, night portrait - on the dial like her 20d. I like the 7d because of the more advanced features and I believe she will end up with better pics if I gently push/guide her out of the "auto mode" way of thinking.

I've been reading through the forum posts and love the options of the 7d - back button focusing, different AF modes focus points (zone AF, centre, centre with expansion), and so forth, but it's not my camera. I think if I can get her to try some of these non-automatic settings she will enjoy the better pics. She wants to take "better" pictures, but likes the automatic camera modes.

So, how difficult is it for an all automatic image mode user to move into a 7d without a lot of fuss and frustration? The camera will be sent back if she is constantly having to change this and tweak that just to take a simple pic.

Thoughts?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow