Want a good quality zoom under 1k...plz help

Started Oct 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
EXX
EXX
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
Re: Want a good quality zoom under 1k...plz help
In reply to garypaul1256, Oct 17, 2011

After I bought my A55 with kit lens, I also looked for a zoom with reasonable performance in low light. I decided not to spend lots of cash but first try what range would suit me and I bought a Minolta 70-210 F4 "Beercan" for € 110 on ebay.

Yes, it is only F4 and has its problems with CA, but a good copy gives great pictures. And with the A55, you can step up the ISO to compensate for the loss of 1 stop because of the lack of F2.8.

If it does not suit you, they are easy to sell again. I decided to keep it for now. If you want something really better than the beercan: on dyxum.com everybody is very enthousiastic about the Minolta 80-200 F2.8 G HS. Heavy but really, really good. And around $1000 on ebay....

In the meantime I also bought a Tamron 18-270 PZD in case you only want to carry one lens, like on vacation. For a superzoom a great lens. For the long reach I was lucky to get a original Minolta AF 500 F8 Reflex, brand new (used as demo lens by the shop) with 2 years warranty from Sony for €499.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow