Started Oct 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
charley5
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?
Insect Photography With SD14... Suggestions Needed
Oct 16, 2011

Hi There: I have been having mixed success with my SD14 taking images of bees & wasps mostly sitting on flowers in the local botanical gardens. These buggers don't stand still for long. My problem relates to the fact that I am constantly hunting for focus, and have lost a multitude of splendid opportunities as a result! Damn frustrating.

I use a 50mm f2.8 macro, usually at f7.1. Should I go a couple of stops higher for more depth of field?

I am not sure if the focus issue relates to the fact that i am trying to get too close to the insects, or is it the fact that they rarely sit still, or is it just a function of the Sigma focusing mechanism.

I was thinking of trying manual focus at this point, something I haven't done since the days I used film, and moving the camera until the insect comes into focus and then firing. Is this a good option?

I have another question. I want to use my 105mm f2.8 macro, which presumably would double the magnification. But when I checked the minimum shooting distance, I can get much closer on the 50mm than the 105mm. Does this cancel out the magnification advantage?

By the way, the focusing is so noisy on the Sigma that it sometimes scares the insects despite the fact that they are busy concentrating on the pollen. But there is nothing i can do about that!

Thanks for any help!!!

-Charles

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow