Ricoh GXR + Ricoh A12 M-Mount adapter...

Started Oct 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lenseye
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?
Ricoh GXR + Ricoh A12 M-Mount adapter...
Oct 16, 2011

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Ricoh GXR and a brand new Ricoh 12.2 MP A12 M-mount adapter while it was briefly available for sale here in Osaka, Japan! I have been testing it for a few days mostly during daytime and everything was fine!

Last night I decided to take some night shots of the heavy rain we had where I ran into very weird problems that I could not explain so I am hoping someone might be able to provide some insight as I am new to Ricoh having used Nikon D700 most of the time.

For my night shots I mounted a Nikon 20mm f2.8 lens onto the M-mount adapter via a high quality Rayqual Nikon-F to Leica-M adapter. What I noticed almost right away was that in Aperture priority mode, it did not matter much now much I changed the aperture, the shutter speed would not change accordingly at all!! Almost as if the meter was not sensitive enough to register any changes in light though I could visibly see the light change on my LCD!! So I upped the ISO and the change I got in shutter speed was minimal! Almost not worth doing it! Has anyone seen anything like this? I was under the impression that in Aperture Priority mode changing the aperture would automatically result in changing the shutter speed as to keep the exposure constant! I do understand that in this case the lens is mounted through an adapter and there are no physical electronic coupling between the lens and the camera but I see the light level change on the LCD, my question is, why the heck can't the GXR?

Tonight I ran different tests at an outdoor dance event with low light and experienced the same thing... upping the ISO from 400 to 3200 (max on this camera) increased my shutter speed from 1/3 Sec to 1/6 Sec!!!! I think for a camera this expensive I have a right to expect better performance. Until I get an explanation I feel very disappointed and think should return the camera + mount...

Please advise if you know something I don't on this one!

Thanks and regards!!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow