Can you make money with small-sensor cameras?

Started Oct 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806
Like?
Can you make money with small-sensor cameras?
Oct 15, 2011

Can you make money with small-sensor cameras? Smaller than APS-C; smaller than micro 4/3. I'd like to know:

1. How many professionals are actually using very small cameras to grab saleable shots? Will a magazine or newspaper editor purchase a 10 MP or smaller JPG -- if it's the image that's wanted?

2. How many others are using small cameras as part of their work (like technical writers and PR people) -- instead of much heavier and costlier 'pro' equipment? After all, you don't need DSLR quality for product pix on marketing datasheets, or for your in-house newsletter, do you?

I'm not looking to start an argument about relative camera quality. Of course, you get what you pay for. I'm just thinking here on the business side ... would you get a far better ROI from a small inexpensive camera than from a larger one? With a minimal lighting setup instead of a truly professional one? Would you actually earn more money by only accepting work that did not require DSLR-level camera gear?

This assumes, of course, that you have customers who do not break out laughing when you pull out something like my little Olympus XZ-1... you'd probably have to wave at least one optical slave flash and an umbrella at them to look 'real'.

Opinions? What do you think?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow