Want a good quality zoom under 1k...plz help

Started Oct 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,624
Like?
Re: Want a good quality zoom under 1k...plz help
In reply to garypaul1256, Oct 14, 2011

You are going to get many, many recommendations and probably become more confused than you are right now!

I'm a fairly new a55 owner and had two kit lenses, 18-55mm and 75-300mm. It's important for me to say now that the IQ from those lenses seemed fine to me. Many on this forum will call them junk. My only problem was that I always seemed to have the wrong lens mounted. After a great deal of study and good input from forum members, I bought a Sigma 18-250mm. I like the lens but after one trip to the local zoo with it, I had to admit that it was very heavy and didn't really balance well on the a55. So, my search started for something else for every day use and I decided to put the Sigma away until my next Yellowstone trip. If I buy a new a65 or a77, the Sigma will be attached to it permanently.

Using size and weight as a primary consideration, I bought a Tamron 28-200mm. It hasn't been off my camera since I got it. It looks like it was made for the a55 and the IQ is just fine. I often crop the 200mm images heavily and the quality remains very good.

Since you are buying your first lens, my recommendation is the Tamron 18-270mm. Although I don't have it, it seems to get good reviews and covers pretty much everything. It's a light weight and short lens, compared to many others. Or, you may consider the lens I have, Tamron 28-200mm. It's a good lens.

Good luck,....I can't wait to see the recommendations you get.

Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow