Started Oct 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
Brief Hands-on
Oct 14, 2011

I had a chance to play with the X10 at the Toronto Photo show. So first off, the AF is very fast and it never missed a focus (100+ focus tests). I tried focusing on something close and then far away and back and forth (AF-S was used). I tried to focus on low contrast as much as I could. The AF was always instantaneous and never hesitated. It was noticably faster than my s90 which I had with me.

The body was well made as expected. The control dial around the menu button was much nicer than my s90 as you could feel the indentations as you moved the dial. I also played with the s95 and s100 at the show and the x10's indentation was slightly stronger than the s95 but not as strong as the s100 which had much stiffer indentations.

The OVF was better than I expected and I preferred it over the EVF on the x100 (at least indoors) and I have the G1 with EVF so I am familiar with them. I had no problem seeing the green AF indicator next to the OVF. It is definitely smaller than the OVF on the X100 but with similar quality. It did take some effort to find the right position over the OVF. I could not put my eye right on the OVF as there was no cup. This was easier with the x100. Basically I found the right position with my cheek leaning next to the camera so that my eye was positioned directly in front of and just touching the OVF. Overtime I think a person to get use to this but YMMV. Of course no centre point but for the fast majority of shots the DOF will be large enough that it won't matter. And for closer shots at the brightest aperture you would need to use the EVF anyways due to parallax errors, similar to the x100. I also compared the G12 OVF at the show and WOW, I didn't realize it was so dark and blurry (completely useless indoors). Basically the X10 OVF is much closer to the x100 OVF than the G12 OVF, literally like night and day.

Zooming of the lens is very smooth and I could see the benefits of zooming with this lens in video. The f2 at the wide end jumps to f2.2 quickly at less then 35mm equiv., while the f2.8 doesn't arrive until around 90mm.

I made a mistake in a conversation with Mark H. The 1/1000 shutter speed applied to both the wide end at f2 and the long end at f2.8. The good news is that the 6mp modes are not longer limited to 1/500s. It was difficult to get higher shutter speeds indoors but I did shoot one ISO3200 image at f2.0 in M mode DR400 at 1/1000s. I couldn't test beyond this indoors.

They had three x10s on demo stands so if anyone from Toronto wants to go down this weekend you should have the time to play with one of them.

PS. Anyone attending this or any other show I would recommend taking a look at the EVF on the new Sony A77/A65/NEX7 to see how far it has come in just a couple of years. It is significantly better than my G1 EVF indoors with the only issue being low contrast details, but this is a setup issue with Sony and someone already found a workaround as long as you shoot in RAW. Definitely gives you an idea of where the viewfinder is going.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow