ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
makdaddy
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Cheap solution for the G3 flush DISP / Fn1 button problem
Oct 14, 2011

As the DPreview says:

The DISP. button is designed so that it is essentially flush with the camera body, meaning you can't press it accidentally, but making locating it by touch frustratingly difficult. Given the fact that DISP now does double duty as a function button, and is ideally-located to use for a commonly-accessed function such as AE lock, this is unfortunate.

Pixel Peter mentioned using large 9mm self adhesive foam disc stickers on all of his buttons back in July: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=38979742&q=flush&qf=m

I wanted to see if I could find something that would more closely mimic the raised design and feel and size of the other buttons, and think I found it. For all of $2.69 you can buy a set of 75 self-stick "jewels" that come in 4 sizes, 3 of which, the 3mm, 4mm, or 5mm, can be used depending on how raised you want the button to be. They are called "Mark Richards Crystal Stickers Elements" style 1609. I bought them here: http://www.nonadesigns.com/jewels.htm

There is a tiny bit of excess adhesive material connecting the jewels that may remain if you just try to rip one off the sheet, so cutting it with an x-acto or razor blade is better. The adhesive seems to grip pretty well, but the nice thing is that if it should fall off, you've got almost a lifetime supply of them.

Shown below is the 4mm size. It's raised higher than the other buttons and I might try the 3mm, but the tactile feel is great due to the height and the facets on the surface.

Plus, by adding one, you've just added some glam appeal to your G3...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow