At my local

Started Oct 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,257Gear list
Like?
Well, we could argue about this...
In reply to eques, Oct 14, 2011

eques wrote:

We seem to disagree here - I think architecture needs as little grain as possible, as well as "official" photos like your last one.

'till the cows come home but here is my rational.

For unadorned surfaces that meet at an angle, the extra grain amplifies minor differences in relflectivity emphasizing the intersections of the different planes. Without the extra grain (artificial surface detail) the topologically complex ceiling in the church shot would just look flat.

On human faces, it does the same thing, amplifies intersecting surfaces which is not good for people's faces and the extra texture just makes them look like they have s skin condition.

For me, grain shows, you are trying to capture a fleeing moment, even in bad conditions, giving photos something intimate.

You would get that kind of grain anyway just because of the low light setting. Adding the Noisy Grain Filter just goes overboard without any compelling reason.

Of those photos some are too soft, bot the last ones, the two men, the gils and the group I think the grain is just right., But of course, this is a rather personal view. - Peter

Maximus Decimus TEdolphus

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow