shooting RAW to Undo in-camera processing

Started Oct 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alex Notpro
Alex Notpro Contributing Member • Posts: 980
shooting RAW to Undo in-camera processing

I just started studying and trying out the RAW related options on my D7000 and the ViewNX2 software.

I imagine most people shoot RAW so they can later take the image and post-process it, which apparently from reading these forums it means, take saturation, sharpening, and brightness to the max. ( I'm half-joking there).

I'd like to approach this differently. It seems it would be nice to shoot in RAW+JPG with full in-camera post-processing to match my intended look. Then only if, after looking at the image on the computer I determine that the camera "got it wrong" and under- or over-processed the JPG, I would delete the JPG and go back to the RAW and reprocess it into a fresh new JPG.

Are there any pitfalls to this approach? I just don't want to find out months from now that all my RAW images have some fundamental defect because of the above procedure. When viewing RAW files on ViewNX2, I noticed that all the in-camera settings are automatically applied to the file, but apparently can be "undone".

Thanks

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a5100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow