Started Oct 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 775Gear list
Like?
shooting RAW to Undo in-camera processing
Oct 13, 2011

I just started studying and trying out the RAW related options on my D7000 and the ViewNX2 software.

I imagine most people shoot RAW so they can later take the image and post-process it, which apparently from reading these forums it means, take saturation, sharpening, and brightness to the max. ( I'm half-joking there).

I'd like to approach this differently. It seems it would be nice to shoot in RAW+JPG with full in-camera post-processing to match my intended look. Then only if, after looking at the image on the computer I determine that the camera "got it wrong" and under- or over-processed the JPG, I would delete the JPG and go back to the RAW and reprocess it into a fresh new JPG.

Are there any pitfalls to this approach? I just don't want to find out months from now that all my RAW images have some fundamental defect because of the above procedure. When viewing RAW files on ViewNX2, I noticed that all the in-camera settings are automatically applied to the file, but apparently can be "undone".

Thanks

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +16 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow