Started Oct 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dandaroy
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Issue I am having with 35 mm f1.8 DX
Oct 13, 2011

OK I am an amateur so do not flame that I know sh*t, etc etc. I got my 35 mm prime this afternoon to go with my D5100 and I do not like it so far, not necessarily because of the lens (which I am sure is fine) but more because of me and the use I thought this lens was for.

I did not really get this lens for outdoor photos (although some one could tell me otherwise). I primarily got this because I currently have the 18-55 mm which is a slow standard zoom, and whether I keep the zoom or get the 18-105 mm or the 16-85 mm, all are slow and I would have to use flash for indoor photos mostly. I thought with the fast prime I would be able to take photos indoors handheld without flash. Now I have played around a bit and taken indoor photos at ISO 800 and unless I really open up the aperture to f2.8 or f2, my shutter speeds are not high enough to get a sharp shot. I guess I am not the most steady photographer, but I am not getting tack sharp photos with shutter speeds of 1/15 or 1/30 or slightly higher without VR. On my 18-55, I can get a sharp photo as low as 1/10 with VR. The issue of opening up the aperture is that for medium range shots I get shallow DOF where not everything is in focus. So it seems like it is not serving the purpose I intended it for.

What am I doing wrong? If I have to use a tripod, then I might as well use a slower lens. Any tips would be appreciated. AF speed is good, but not a dramatic improvement compared to 18-55 which is average or passable.

Thanks!

P.S. I also got thr SB-400 which for $100 is a nice improvement over the built in flash. Sure it is not fancy like the SB-700 or 900, but serves an amateur like me for now. The built in flash was a bit underwhelming.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow