E-P3 thumb wheel v. E-PL3

Started Oct 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,265Gear list
Like?
Re: E-P3 thumb wheel v. E-PL3
In reply to Bmat, Oct 12, 2011

It might sound like you're focusing on a trivial issue, but in fact I think this is one of the most important differences between the two cameras.

I read a lot of reviews before I decided to move to M43, and I noticed that the dpreview guys and a few others seemed to make a big issue of the scroll wheel. I wondered just how big a deal this really was. But when I started going into camera stores and actually playing with mirrorless cameras, I found that the the difference in handling between the E-P3 and E-PL3 was significant.

I eventually forked out the extra $200 on the E-P3.

It's not just the scroll-wheel - it's also the handling in general. The E-P3 has a full metal body that feels much more solid in the hand, and this extra "heft" helps with stable shooting. The E-PL3 feels like more of a toy to me, or at least it feels more like a point-and-shoot camera than a serious piece of kit. Also, I found that I really liked the E-P3's touchscreen (this surprised me, as I was coming from SLRs and thought it was a gimmick).

For the first few days after I bought the E-P3 I kicked myself a little - what a chump, I thought, paying so much for a quarter-frame camera! But in the weeks since, the camera has grown on me a lot and I'm glad I bought the top-of-the-range model. In relation to the scroll-wheel, I enjoy being able to change aperture quickly (SLR fashion) without having to use buttons or a menu (point-and-shoot fashion).

I was willing to pay the extra, but if you're on a budget you might be better off with the E-PL3.

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow