Beautiful HDR of Colorado in Fall Colors.

Started Oct 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotoArtKC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?
Beautiful HDR of Colorado in Fall Colors.
Oct 11, 2011

Just thought I would share one of my latest HDR's. I've been working with a number of different HDR programs lately to see which programs I can really "squeeze" the most out of without too much work. Although I've been a VERY long time user of Photomatix Pro (going back to 1.x versions), I've found that other, newer programs have been really giving me more pleasing results with less work.

This image was from a 5-exposure bracket but I tossed the upper exposure because it simply had no sky detail and the one below had plenty of shadow detail still. For what it's worth, I tend to shoot in 0.7 EV brackets for "daytime" HDR's where I need less dynamic range. In any case, the "best" 4 exposures were then processed in Nik HDR Efex Pro. However, I also tried a less expensive, slightly less feature rich, HDRtist from Ohanaware (Mac only) and got similarly nice results. Another favorite is Oloneo PhotoEngine, however they've only released a Windows version. (Yes, I can run it under VMware Fusion, but it's inconvenient to do so and slower than the others while running in a VM.)

One of my HDR tips: Set your "middle" exposure on the sky/clouds. This way you are SURE to get a great exposure of the highlights since those contain far less information, while shadows are much easier to bring back and more forgiving if "blown". (For what it's worth, the hot spots on the clouds in the above image are due to the white level setting I used.) Be sure to follow my Blog, YouTube channel and Facebook for all of my tips, tricks and tutorials.

-- hide signature --

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

My photography blog, Photoshop tips, color tips and more: http://www.ModifiedPhotoGraphics.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow