Started Oct 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,226Gear list
Like?
2 basic tips for hand held bracketing for HDR
Oct 11, 2011

When I don't have a tripod with me but want to attempt bracketing for hdr, I have two tricks that I do.

1. Merging software is pretty good at alligning hand held images if it has good reference points. So if possible I try to include some sharp contrasty edges or lines in my image (even placing them off to the edge if it's an object that I want to crop out later).

2. Does your camera only bracket 3 images with one press of the shutter but you want more? Take the time to study the exposure range of the scene. Using spot meter mode try to find two points of exposure value about 4-5 stops apart (dark edge of a cloud and shady side of a building as examples). After focusing, switch your AF off. Take a meter reading from one of your chosen exposure points and hold the reading with what ever method your camera can use (half shutter press usually). Now move the camera to compose your image with the second exposure point placed on the spot meter, all while keeping the first EV locked in. Release the shutter for your first 3 exposures. Carefully release the shutter button and then press again for the second 3 exposures. Basically what you're doing is spreading your exposures with minimal disturbance from hand and dial movement. It's not perfect because it interferes sometimes with optimal composition in order to place the spot meter at a specific point.

The multiple image merge below was hand held with a GF1, arms extended, a breeze, and chronically shakey hands using the above methods. It's not my best by far, but it's an example I uploaded tonight.
Anybody else got hand held hdr tips?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow