Started Oct 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photoPhlow
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Help me spend some money on lenses
Oct 10, 2011

I'm cashing in a small investment, and I've decided it's time to take a bit of dividend for my new photography hobby. I am willing to spend $2K to $5K (likely more mid-way).

My current gear:

Canon 7D
EF-S 15-85 IS
100 f2.8L IS Macro

My current shooting:

40% flower/bug
30% landscape
20% family snapshots
10% whatever I feel like.

I would like to get into candid street shooting, wildlife, and action-event, while improving my landscape. My flower/bug is going great with the 100 Macro, though I could probably use a stable tripod, flash and other gear.

Here's the thing -- I would like a 70-200, but which one -- the f4L IS, or the f2.8L IS II ? If I got the f4L, it would be better for walk-around, but I would miss the large aperture sometimes, unless I could back it up with a prime.

I also think I need something at the wide end to do better landscapes with. Also, family shots could use an f2 or f2.8 for more isolation (the 100 is too long except for candid distance shots).

The options are driving me crazy. I do want a 70-200 of some type, but it isn't really long enough for wildlife, and it is barely short enough for portrait. It is a bit of in-between lens on a crop body. On a FF it would be great for portrait.

I love the idea of primes for particular thought-out shots, but not for walk-around. So, I do need a high quality zoom of some type, even if it isn't wide (the 15-85 is actually very good, though I do miss not having a bigger aperture, especially on people and family).

I have to say, my choices have to keep in mind that I may pick up a 5DIII, though that would require selling the 7D and 15-85. But, that's another choice -- do I really need the larger format? The only real advantage is lower noise and smaller depth-of-field as far as I can see. However, the larger number of pixels may be nice for my landscapes.

Arghhhhh.

photoPhlow's gear list:photoPhlow's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow