Started Oct 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
signal writer
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
Getting discouraged by other sports photogs
Oct 10, 2011

I've been doing alright with my sigma 70-200 and my a33, and I've been getting 2-3 shots printed for every game that I cover, but it's really discouraging sometimes.

Not so much when I'm on the field and the other photogs are toting 2-3 bodies and a 400mm 2.8. That doesn't bother me so much in the moment, but when I see the type of shots they're able to get with that lens and theirs vs mine. It gets very discouraging.

For example, today we're in production and I'm running my photos, and I look on AJC's page for what they run, and they can just do so much more with that lens. They don't have to crop nearly as much, if at all, and they can actually capture the players and coaches up close on the bench from the other side of the field 50 yards away.

I can't come close to affording that type of lens at this point (college student), but I have saved up enough money for an a77...

Is there anything that you all can suggest? a gem of a lens that I might not know about, that's affordable? A 2x converter maybe?

In the Ga. Dome, I get 1/1000 or so with iso 3200 at 2.8, it fluctuates between 1/600 and 1/1200 depending on if I'm shooting into light or not. I can get away with 1/800 max at iso 1600 sometimes.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow