NEX5 Focus Error / Glitch

Started Sep 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mike Wee
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX5 Focus Error / Glitch
In reply to foody1000, Oct 10, 2011

OK, doing some more reading in the forum I landed on a suggestion to turn off the AF Illuminator, the little orange LED light that helps focusing in low light.

Not sure what that has to do with the focusing area, but I tried it and my focus success has improved dramatically. Sure in really low light I cannot focus, but then again the picture would be crap anyway

This also seems to be related to that larger green box we have been seeing. It looks like when the AF Illuminator is used the center/flexible AF setting is ignored and a larger frame is used with "priority" in the center...

Here's what the manuals say about this "feature":

NEX-5: When you use the AF illuminator, the normal AF range finder frame is disabled and a new AF range finder frame is displayed by a dotted line. AF operates with priority on subjects located near the center of the frame.

NEX-5N: When the AF illuminator is used, the setting of [Autofocus Area] is invalid and the AF area is indicated with a dotted line. AF operates with priority on and around the center area.

-- hide signature --

Ex-Tee-Eye * Fifty mm 1,8 * Seventeen-Eightyfive mm 4,0-5,6
En-Ee-Ex-5 * Sixteen mm 2,8 * Eighteen-Fiftyfive mm 3,5-5,6
Voigtlander ThirtyFive mm 1,4

Mike Wee's gear list:Mike Wee's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 400D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow