Sigma 8-16 vs Canon 10-22

Started Oct 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,445
Like?
Re: Lack of filters and range...
In reply to Robert Krawitz, Oct 10, 2011

Robert Krawitz wrote:

Grad ND filters only work where there's a clear linear division between highlight and shadow. While that's not uncommon, it's not the only common situation where dynamic range is an issue.

I wonder how many people use filters at all with digital. I did wish I had an ND (not a grad) at Yosemite to shoot some waterfalls, but overall I use the extra 2 mm more than I find I need an ND. Polarization filters are about the only other ones that can't really be reproduced digitally, but they aren't often all that useful on extreme wide angle lenses.

I'v certainly come across a fare few people using grads, espeicaly when your dealing with more speicalist UWA lenses. They of course have there limates but the "smooth divide" thats needed is often overestimated IMHO. Being able to take pics involving moving elements and doing so hand held with instant feedback are also possible with filters.

Polarizers importance for UWA's is I'd say underestimated, no there generally not ideal for shots of the sky due to the uneven effect but taking the reflections off of foreground can be very useful.

Also, with the angle of incidence so extreme at 8 mm, I'm not sure it would be good to use any kind of filter -- internal reflections and refractions are going to be pretty severe with light striking the filter at 60 degrees from perpendicular.

People use them on the Nikon 14-24 so I'd guess its not THAT big an issue although I spose the Sigma does go wider.

A maximum range of 16mm also means the Sigma is only an UWA lens where as the Canon goes up to 22mm providing the classic 35mm view. For many thats going to make the Canon and to a lesser degree the Simga 10-20 the more versitile lens, espeically if your also taking reasonabley shots of people along with landscapes.

Most crop factor standard zooms go down to 15-18 mm. If you're using a 24-105 as your main lens, then that won't match very well, but if your standard zoom is 17-50 or thereabouts, you don't have any significant gap.

Theres also the convenience factor which me for is espeically important for a lens thats going to be used for landscape shots. With the 10-22 you can get away with just the camera/lens in more siituations asnd cut down changes in potentially inconvenient enviroments.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow