Shopping for a Macro Lens for my D-90

Started Oct 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,308
Like?
Re: Shopping for a Macro Lens for my D-90
In reply to Dale124, Oct 9, 2011

Dale124 wrote:

Hi all. I'm sorry if this is asked several times a week. I didn't realize there was a Macro forum here. I usually hang out in the D-90 area.

This is indeed commonly asked. It is worth searching the Nikon SLR lens, Nikon D90, Nikon D300, and Nikon D700 forums for recent macro threads.

bgD300 wrote:

According to the B&H specs, the minimum focus distance of the 85mm f3.5 Nikkor is 11.26 inches and the cost is 489.95. The Tamron 60mm f2.0 is 9.06 inches with a cost of 484.95.

Given that the macro work I do is seldom at f2.0 (actually, never) I would spend the extra $5 to get the 2 1/4 inches of MFD. The nikkor is a fraction of an inch longer so working distance would be reduced slightly but, I'm not sure if the 60mm is IF.

The Nikkor 85/3.5VR has a relatively good WD among the lightweight and is good strictly for macro typically done with the aperture stopped down, but its bokeh makes it less useful at its wider apertures. On the other hand, the Tamron 60/2 (non-extending) and 90/2.8 double fine as portrait lenses ("almost fast" primes).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow