Night-time photography. Help / advice please.

Started Oct 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Iceman1973
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Night-time photography. Help / advice please.
Oct 9, 2011

Hi everyone,

Last weekend I wanted to try some night photography. Considering that I have never done this before, so I read up very quickly on some long exposure techniques. Even went down onto local Jessops and got me a nice Manfrotto so I can be prepared.

I also wanted to try out how the nikkor 28-70 f2.8 IF Ed was after I'd paid a fair amount getting it repaired. It was only with the aftermath of the results I realised what a bad combo this lens and D7k are. Besides this, 28 is the widest I have of all my lenses.

I had planned shooting the London Eye and surroundings and probably find another spot to try some light trails of moving vehicles.

I started at around 8.30pm and was on the bridge shooting only the London Eye and house of commons until around 11.00pm got off the bridge to the other side and tried some shots from there. I took a lot of pictures, turing the camera to manual mode, shutter speed all the way down to bulb, did not have cable release or ir remote so set it to 5sec delay and took the shots.

And to be honest it was not as smooth as I expected. Firstly I realised that the lens and camera combo does not work. Secondly when I decided to change the lens to 50mm f1.4g, I got a sort of acceptable shot, and wanting to stay longer, I could not risk missing the last train back, ie did not fancy being in the company of clubbers on a bus returning home.

So what you see are the very few I managed to save after a lot of PP, although the shots might point out some mistakes from my technique, I still would like to get some help and guidance on how to get this right.

Thanking you in advance
IM.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow