Started Oct 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,697Gear list
Like?
zoom vs primes in M4/3s, the truth
Oct 8, 2011

The fact that using a fixed focal length lens makes it sometimes difficult to frame a shot and sometimes impossible to get it the way you would like, then how much does it affect the image quality. What I mean is, I find it aggravating to try and frame with a fixed focal length. I find that a lot of the time I am inclined to crop, and if I have too, how much does that degrade the image quality. If you can frame exactly with a zoom and eliminate cropping all together, wouldn't that make for better IQ that a cropped shot from a prime?

I don't know the answer, that's why I'm posing the question. I realize it would depend on how much you cropped. I find shooting with a fixed focal length to be a pain in the butt for that reason. Yet, I hear so much about how great these fast primes are. I have the Panny 20mm prime and if I'm not using it for low light, I find myself not using it in favor of a zoom.

To me framing the shot quickly and exactly is more of a plus than a small amount of extra sharpness. How many agree with me and how many disagree?

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow