Started Oct 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chad515
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
Face detection, GH1, and Oly 45mm
Oct 7, 2011

So far, I've been very pleased with my new Oly 45mm on my GH1. It's just what I was hoping for. Sharp wide open, fast focusing, silent, and small. I've been using a legacy Canon FD 50mm f1.4 lens and really wanted something similar that could autofocus. The Oly is exactly that and more, but I've realized that my GH1's autofocus is sometimes not sufficient for how shallow the depth of field can get with this guy.

With my other lenses (20mm, 14-140, 45-200), my GH1's face detection works great to detect a face and the autofocus works great to get it into focus. But, with the 45mm wide open at relatively close range, the depth of field is so short that part of the face may be in focus (e.g. the nose) while other parts are out of focus (e.g. the eyes). And, if the subject is not facing directly at me, I may get the back eye in focus when I would have preferred the front eye. For example:

Crop on the eyes:

The rear eye (at the bottom) is significantly sharper than the front eye.

I should have realized that this would be the case (and I'm sure all of you who came from larger DSLRs already knew all of this), but it was a surprise to me. I was thinking the 45mm would give me fast glass with fast autofocus that I didn't have to think about much. Instead, I need to realize this limitation and sometimes tweak the focus manually to get what I'm looking for.

chad515's gear list:chad515's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow