Started Oct 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CBuff
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Canon's mirrorless strategy ?
Oct 7, 2011

MFT, Sony, Samsung: it is believed that the mirrorless strategy of these companies was meant as a bridge for beginners, up from a P&S, not ready yet for DSLR.

The fact is, while many used the mirrorless cameras as a step-up from P&S, there are some others, like myself, who found a different use of these mirrorless cameras. For me, my Sony Nex-5 became my modern "rangefinder" (even without a viewfinder).

The ability to adapt old manual lenses made these mirrorless cameras an enthusiast's dream come true:
. Portability : Check
. Image quality : (for street photography) Check
. Ability to use old gems (Leica, Zeiss, Rokkor, Nikkor): Check

In a recent trip to Northern Italy and France, I decided to leave my 5Dmk2+24-70+70-200 home, and take instead the Nex-5, two lens kit, 3 Zeiss Contax G lenses (28, 45, 90), and a Minolta 135 f/2.8. I found that the 18-55 kit lens and the minolta stayed in the hotel most of the time, and a small shoulder bag with Nex-5, 16mm, 28/45/90 and a small carbon fiber tripod for night photography was all I was using. I sold my 5Dmk2 on ebay upon my return in July.

Do I miss the ergonomics of the 5D? you betcha! Do I miss the fast focus? yes. Will i buy a 5Dmk3? May be. Will I buy a Nex-7? Definitely.

Please do not see this post as a troll, or trying to ignite flames. All I am saying is that there is a segment outthere, people like me, who would LOVE to have a canon mirrorless camera aimed to them.

Nikon made a different bet: they don't want to cater their mirrorless to people like me. They would still prefer that we purchase a DSLR.

Guess what: I am ready to pay high dollar for smaller cameras with 5D capabilities, that have a short flange distance, and that can, through the use of an adapter, use the EOS lenses. If canon introduces such a tool, my Sony gear will be on eBay the next morning. I am hoping that Canon will, and i have kept all my EOS lenses and Flash guns for now. We'll see.

I understand that the vast majority of the readers/posters in this forum would not agree with me. I get it. But if there are some who do, are you planning to use Sony or other mirrorless as stopgaps for now, waiting for Canon to declare their strategy ?

Regards to all

CBuff's gear list:CBuff's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon EOS D60 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow