RIP Steve Jobs

Started Oct 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
onoculson
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Uh, yes, he was that influential to digital photography
In reply to EspE1, Oct 6, 2011

EspE1 wrote:

However, I regret to say that I don't see why Jobs' death has very much relevance for this forum. Has he made anything good for dSLRs? Has he meant much to Olympus? (That Olympus ought to have learned some important things from his marketing genious, whereby he has managed to get most of the world's press to function as an uncritical extention to Apples marketing department, is another thing.)

Is it really true, as someone stated, that he has changed photography? How?

Very well then. We have a "curmudgeon award of the day" to you sir. In fact, modern digital photography owes a great debt to Steve Jobs. Perhaps you didn't realize Photoshop arrived on the Mac in 1988, four years before it was released for the pc. Similar stories can be told for other important software for the creative arts, including for desktop publishing, video editing, and music production. Apple under Steve Jobs not only fostered these nascent technologies, but together with software providers his company helped define many of the standards, protocols and workflows we still rely on today. Is there plenty of credit to go around to lots of different players and companies? Of course. But don't kid yourself by thinking Steve was merely a marketing genius.

Perhaps even more important is the influence Steve has had on the breadth of today's technology landscape as a whole. I shudder to think what things would look like today if he hadn't been around to prod Microsoft and the rest of the industry into more elegant and innovative directions. Steve's own word's say it best:

"I think our major contribution [to computing] was in bringing a liberal arts point of view to the use of computers. If you really look at the ease of use of the Macintosh, the driving motivation behind that was to bring not only ease of use to people — so that many, many more people could use computers for nontraditional things at that time — but it was to bring beautiful fonts and typography to people, it was to bring graphics to people ... so that they could see beautiful photographs, or pictures, or artwork, et cetera ... to help them communicate. ... Our goal was to bring a liberal arts perspective and a liberal arts audience to what had traditionally been a very geeky technology and a very geeky audience."

Glen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow