Auto ISO hidden shutter setting on Olympus E-PL1 (and I guess other PEN's?)

Started Oct 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jakeman
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Auto ISO hidden shutter setting on Olympus E-PL1 (and I guess other PEN's?)
Oct 6, 2011

I just recently got this camera as a second camera to my D80, which I never really bring along anymore. Really liking it so far; the LCD is kinda poor and the buttons feel pretty cheap but the image quality is great and the customization and settings available are pretty awesome. Considering it cost almost half of the E-PL2 here I'm really happy with it.

One thing that annoyed though me was that when shooting in Aperture priority the Auto ISO would pick the highest ISO I allowed it when I could handhold (with the Image Stabilization on) as much as 5 times as slow shutter times. Well in the "F" submenu of the "Gears" menu there's a "Slow Limit" that seems to be (and is according to the manual) the slowest shutter time you want before it uses flash. Apparently the camera also uses value this when calculating which ISO to use; if you put a fast shutter time here the camera will choose ISO 1600 every time, put a really slow shutter time and you'll get lower ISO's but slower shutter times.

I don't know if this was common knowledge but it makes Auto ISO a lot more usable in my opinion, and Auto ISO now seems to work way better than on my old D80 where I never used it. I'm very impressed with the customization and settings that are available, though the menu structure feels pretty random (especially with weird hidden stuff like this) coming from the D80. Right now I'm just using the kit lens but I'm gonna have to pick up the 20mm f/1.7 as soon as possible.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow