olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,335
Like?
Re: 4s samples
In reply to JeffNew, Oct 6, 2011

JeffNew wrote:

Thanks!

I think P&S got trouble now.

No, not if you want a camera. A phone is not going to be able to replace the P&S any time soon, and definitely not the Iphone. Not very impressive if you ask me. Also, reading the Iphone page, sentences like these...

"The custom lens uses five precision elements to shape incoming light, which makes the entire image sharper. The larger f/2.4 aperture lets in more light, so photos look brighter."

...clearly demonstrate that they don't really know much about cameras in that department.

"The custom lens uses five precision elements to shape incoming light, which makes the entire image sharper." How do you shape a lens so that everything in the entire image is sharp? That can only be done with aperture control if you stop down, or artificial sharpening, which can be seen in the final image if you show the image large.

"The larger f/2.4 aperture lets in more light, so photos look brighter." The aperture size does not make your image "brighter", exposure and light does. Also, an image does not need to be "brighter" at all, it needs to be correctly exposed, so there is no connection between image brightness and aperture size, an image can be just as bright at f/32 as at f/1.4.

That's enough for me to decide on the camera. It is probably over hyped because it's an Apple and today everyone seems to like Apple products without questioning what they are actually paying for. I must yet to see the 4s for any proof of their claim about the camera but I doubt it is much better than my Nokia N95, which is not much to have in competition with any P&S. At least it has a real lens with real AF motor. I am not sure about the Iphone lens at all, probably only jelly type of lens.

I think you are making a mistake if you go for the Iphone and expect a good camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow