Cheapo LED Ring Light color quality (CRI, etc.)

Started Oct 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ComputerDork
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
Cheapo LED Ring Light color quality (CRI, etc.)
Oct 6, 2011

I bought this $34 LED Neewer ring light from amazon recently thinking that I can sort of use a ring light and for $34 I don't care too much about the quality as long as it basically works, but then I got to thinking....

The ring light seems pretty damn good for $34, but it uses LEDs which are notorious for having a bad CRI/spectral distribution. I can't figure out what sort of LEDs they are so I'm not sure how bad their spectral distribution should be in theory.

Based on testing with a spectral uniform white balance card, the light seems to have a color temp of 6000K, with "+60" tint in Lightroom (whatever that means). I also profiled it (creating a DNG profile) with an X-Rite colorchecker passport and both X-Rite's software and the Adobe DNG profile editor.

Does anyone know how I might look at a DNG profile and get a sense of how crappy the light source is? I don't have a spectrophotometer or anything so looking at color data from the light reflected off of a color chart is about the best I can do for evaluation right now.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow