Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Started Oct 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934
Like?
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?
In reply to B1ackhat, Oct 5, 2011

B1ackhat wrote:

I have never seen a hiker/backpacker with a dSLR in the tens of thousands of miles I have spent on the trails. I am speaking of real hikers/backpackers of course, not those ridiculous wannabe weekend warriors who head out for a couple miles in jeans and their sporting goods store backpacks. Who wants to hike 10-20 miles with a camera swinging on their neck and if it's in your pack, who wants to take their pack off every time a photo op arises? I have spoken to a small handful of guys/gals who do occasionally bring them on special trips (e.g. someone making a first-time trip to Yellowstone), but a dSLR as an everyday hiking cam? Very, very rare.

Where are you hiking - blandville, USA? Or are you just lying a bit (lot) when you say you NEVER see any? Funny how I see than more often - perhaps it's a California thing. I haven't been to Virginia, so other than knowing it's much flatter, don't know if it matters. I could play the provincial card and say that hiking the AT isn't real mountaineering.

Your own words speak well to the choice:

"I can't recall the last time I have even seen a Canon P&S that has a remotely decent AF system. I am very pleased with my S95, but just like the SX30, SX230 and the numerous other Canon cams I have recently owned, the AF leaves a lot to be desired. "

And I agree, my S90 does not seem to deliver clear focus on long range landscapes. If I wanted to take pictures of my dog, I certainly would want better equipment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow