Started Sep 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm Nikor + 2x Teleconverter for Nikon
In reply to _sem_, Oct 5, 2011

sem wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

When you start sticking converters on lenses not even close to what is reasonable, you might be exceeding the tests made as to functionality.

Certainly. This is why I'm interested in the results, there is no guarantee it will turn out useful, but it is also not certain to fail. Some folks even file off those protection tabs so they can do odd things and get good results.

For example you may want macro with extremely long working distance (longer than the long dedicated macros provide) but you don't need wide aperture and the correspondingly heavy & expensive glass. Many have successfully used such lenses with Nikkor TCs, using an extension tube in between (to prevent glass collision and to magnify more).

Hey pal, don't get me wrong. I also have filed off the tabs, but I've done it to fit my manual focus 500 f/4. I was very careful to note no damage and had read about others doing the same thing for the same lens.

I think with macro one wants the very best possible image. Putting on converters might not give that. I don't know. I do know with my Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro, my Nikon converter did not do so well. I ended up buying Sigma's 1.4 converter and it works beautifully with that one lens. It was worth it to maintain as much of the quality of that lens as possible. It's almost as if that converter was designed specifically for that lens.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile via Plan

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow